Enjoy your time on Help Island, because you will not be able to come back (unless you also become a Greeter or Mentor). Help Island is like a demo of the Mainland, without the lag or the capitalism or the crazy people. It's like a little oasis!
Sometime after you leave Help Island, visit Yadnis Junkyard and Sinceres Newbie Heaven. They are incredible.
You can also join Yadni's group, 'Yadni's Newbies Helping Group' which has over 200 members. Look for it under Search > Group.
I also recommend you visit my Blog ;)
It's mostly junk, but it does have a few good entries:
Complete Idiot's Guide to Avatar Contests (A good way of getting money) and Best apartments in SL in 2005 (The listing is a little outdated, but it gives you a general idea of what to look for. If you cannot afford land, an apartment is a great alternative, and there are TONS of apartment rentals in SL, just search in Search > All > 'apartments')
Speaking of money, as long as you are under 60 days old, you are allowed to make use of the magical Money Trees. There are very many in Second life - all you have to do is Search for them in Search > All > 'Money tree'. I will be honest, they provide you with a meager amount of money, and you are allowed to use them only once a day...
Another option is to play games like Tringo, (A most exciting game since Tetris! It was created by another SL player (forgot his name) and he actually made a deal with a major gaming company to release the game worldwide!) Slingo, (very cute game) Bingo, or any of the other games that constantly grace the Event Calendar.
More on money....but this isn't official; these are my own ideas:
* You could try befriending someone wealthy ;) But no begging, because no one likes beggars.
* The Second Life forums are a great tool. Check them from time to time to see if there are any contests or anything like that. You can even look for roommates for your apartment/house. You can also check the Jobs forum to see if anyone is hiring. secondlife.com/forums
* Of course, one of the BEST ways to make money in SL is to create and sell the result. Some people have skill and talent with Photoshop, others are great at scripting, and there are others who think outside the box and create something no one has thought of. Like the Nexcom guys who created a cell phone even though Instant Messaging is already integrated into the game; or the guys who created a bank, Ginko Financial, even though there is no real need for a bank. (Bad examples, I know)
To learn everything about building and prims, go to this famous place:
Ivory Tower Library of Primitives. Go ahead and experiment :)
* On saving money: Don't pass a good bargain! You can find quality items at drastically reduced prices in the dozens of Yard Sales that happen every day.
* This is something I had happen to me a few times! There were items that I liked but couldn't afford, but I complimented the designers, because I genuinely believed they had a talent. To my surprise, I was given the items without paying anything, and once even received a box of beautiful freebies from one of the designers. Try it :) It may work and it may not.
My opinion on 512 square meters of land (the most basic slice of land and the cheapest):
You may be tempted to upgrade your land to something bigger, so you can have space for your shiny cars, your Italian Villa, the sparkling bottomless pool, and enough prims to satisfy all your desires... .
I want you to rethink ;)
Since you're new, you probably haven't heard of TINIES. If you need a quick introduction, a tiny is an avatar that is 1/3 the size of its human counterpart. Most of them are furry and look like animals. There are rumors of underground cultures of tinies and cults. You can get the avies and accessories at Extrovirtual (simply search under this name)
What do tinies have to do with land?
Well, as a tiny, you don't need a lot of space! So 512sqm of land is more than enough for you and your friends to live comfortably and luxuriously. Promise me you'll think about it.
Enough about money! I started on this topic because 'how do I make money?' is the most asked question around here. Anyway, I think EXPLORATION should be on top of the list.
There are many train stations. You can hop on a train with your friends (up to about four people!) and let it take you to faraway places.
Another fun way to explore with a friend/friends is by a car (there are many free ones). There are so many roads in Second Life. Hmm, I wonder where they go?...
Don't forget boats and sumbarines!
The Shelter is a club that is very friendly to newbies.
There are a few places offering free classes EVERY day. They range from modifying your appearance to creating pets that follow you and so many other topics that it's dizzying! One word: Event calendar.
You must know about an island called Supportforhealing. Because of its presence and its daily support groups, it has brought a new depth to Second Life.
You haven't seen the potential of Second Life if you haven't been to a Live Music event. It's beautiful. Join Live Music Enthusiasts group to be notified of upcoming performances.
Second Life is home to a few (too few!) museums created by residents. I think this is another one of its best-kept secrets.
My favorites: SL Historical Museum @ Phobos; Close Encounter UFO Museum @ Simcoe.
SLprofiles.com and SLbuzz.com is Second Life's answer to Myspace. It's a nice way of making friends in Second life. Don't forget to include the link in your Profile.
SLuniverse.com houses Snapzilla - check it out!
YES, without a doubt, Second Life is a very complicated thing! This game ain't no Pac-Man - it takes time to learn. Enjoy every second :) And be nice to the Lindens ;)